The United States is blessed with many beautiful public courses, and Hawaii, despite being a relative small state, is blessed with more than its fair share. In this article, we will review some of beautiful public golf courses in Hawaii, and what they offer.
1. and 2. Lanai offers two high-quality golf courses. Perhaps the better known is "The Challenge at Manele", which was designed by Jack Nicklaus, and is a course set among lava outcrops and overlooked, from the top of steep cliffs, the Pacific Ocean. The second of Lanai's courses is very different: "The Experience at Koele" winds its way through the island's tropical uplands.
3. and 4. Kapalua, which is on the northwest coast of Maui, offers two superb golf courses, "The Bay Course" and "The Plantation Course". The Plantation Course is home to the PGA TOUR Mercedes-Benz Championship in January of each year, and features many spectacular and beautiful landscapes.
5. The Kiele Course at Kauai Lagoons Golf Club is one of 14 golf courses (spread through British Columbia and Hawaii) owned by the GolfBC Group. The course was created by Jack Nicklaus, and features stunning cliffs, 40-acres of fresh water lagoons, and even a wedding chapel just off from the 17th tee.
6. Ko'olau Golf Course, on eastern Oahu, is known for having one of, if not the toughest, golf course in country. The course is spectacularly set beneath the Ko'olau Ridge mountain range.
7. Poipu Bay Golf Course is known as a unique and exciting course, that is home to many native species including seals, sea turtles, geese and even humpback whales.
8. And 9. Princeville overlooks Hanalei Bay on Kauai. The area is home to a hotel, a spa and two very different golf courses ("Prince Golf Course" and "Makai Golf Course") that were designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. Perhaps the most notable, Prince Golf Course, features a challenging rolling terrain landscape, and has beenervingly been named by Golf Digest as the best course in the state.